Bring Your Slow Cooker to Deep Creek Lake and Enjoy an Easy Chili After a Day on the Slopes!
Vacations should be easy and relaxing, so take a break from the kitchen too! With just a bit of prep work, the slow cooker does the rest. This recipe is so versatile – use what you like and as much as you want. For a vegetarian meal, omit the ground beef or turkey. Prepared spicy or mild, this savory dish will be warm and hearty after a cold snowy day of fun. This meal will serve 6-8 people.
- Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) Kidney Beans, drained and washed
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) Tomato Sauce
- 2 medium or 1 large Onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle Pepper Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Scallions, chopped
- Toasted Bread
- Brown the ground beef or ground turkey in a skillet over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Drain fat and reserve a tablespoon for cooking the onions and garlic.
- Add ground beef or turkey to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add the tablespoon of reserved fat dripping. Sauté the onions on medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and cook a few minutes more until fragrant. Add onion and garlic mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Mix until completely combined.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Stir every hour if possible.
- Serve with any or all of the suggested toppings and enjoy!